Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bless the Broken Road

I set out on the narrow way many years ago, hoping I would find true love along the broken road. I got lost a time or two, wiped my brow, kept pushing through. I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you. Every long lost dream led me to where you are. Others who broke my heart, they were just Northern stars pointing me on my way into your loving arms. This much I know is true, that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you. I think about the years I spent just passing through. I'd like to find the time I lost and give it back to you. You just smile and take my hand, you've been there, you understand. It's all part of a greater plan that is coming true. Every long lost dream led me to where you are. Others who broke my heart, they were just Northern stars pointing me on my way into your loving arms. This much I know is true, that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you. Now I'm just running home into your loving arms. This much I know, I know is true, that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you. God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you.

As I read the lyrics to this song, I think about 2 things. First, my love affair with Jesus. Second, my love affair with my husband. As a child growing up, I was told that Jesus should be the first man in my life. How he could keep me safe along the broken roads of my life. When I got lost, he would push me through. His arms would always be open whenever I needed Him. As a little girl growing up, I dreamed of the man I would marry. How he could keep me safe along the broken roads of my life. When I got lost, he would walk beside me. His arms would always be open whenever I needed him. Throughout my life, one thing has remained constant - and that is the love of Jesus Christ. No matter how far I've strayed from the path, or how broken the road, He was always there waiting for me. I've been lost and I've been found. I haven't always had my husband to walk with me, nor will I forever. But Jesus has been with me since the beginning. He has walked with me and continues to walk with me along life's broken roads. When my life has been at its hardest, Jesus has been the one I've walked with, held hands with. When my heart has been broken, Jesus has been the one I've turned to for healing, for comfort. And although I will never fully understand why life does what it does, I will always love Jesus as the first man in my life. His love is constant and steadfast, unlike any other.

When the road is broken, and you just don't think you can take one more step - keep going. Jesus will smile and take your hand. For no one knows how far the breaks in the road go, but him. He walked down the most broken road of all, and loved us every step of the way...

May your broken road be a blessing... that leads you straight into Jesus' arms.