Saturday, February 7, 2009

Timeless

Time, it's changing me. It's hard to see who I am. Touched, I'm touched by many things. So many things I don't understand. But seasons pass and I discover above all this there's another helping me to hold on to what is timeless. So the autumn can color me gold, and the winter can dress me in snow. But it's You I see - the timeless part of me. In the springtime I'm young once again. In the summer I dance on the wind. But it's You I see - the timeless part of me. Change, whether it's good or bad. You know I'm glad You're in control. Oh, Lord, if I don't understand, I know Your hand will shield my soul. Seasons pass and I discover above all this there's another helping me to hold on to what is timeless. ("Timeless" by Selah)

In thinking about what song for this week, I didn't have a clue what song to use. I typed some keywords into Google, but nothing jumped out at me. It wasn't until I was throwing clothes in the laundry that I thought of this song by Selah. Timeless. God's timing is perfect, even if ours isn't. I should know. For several months now, all I've though about is time. I count every second, every minute, every hour until the next day comes. Is it time to go to bed yet? Is it time to give the girls a kiss goodnight? I wake up at night and wonder what time it is. How much longer until the alarm clock rings and I have to get ready for work? How much time until I have to get ready for another day of counting time, waiting for it to come and then watching it go by. How much time have I spent wondering what this new day will bring. Will it be easier than yesterday? Will it be harder? Will I get through it at all? During all this time, I've changed, and I'm still changing. I'm learning to appreciate the time that I have, the time that has past, and the time that is yet to come. I've been touched by the amount of time I've wasted and touched by the amount of time I've enjoyed. I've spent way too much time on things I don't understand, and not enough on those things I do. Throughout these past months, Autumn did turn into Winter and Winter will eventually turn into Spring. Time goes on with or without me. I am the one who has to decide how to spend the time I have. And I have decided that I am going to spend the rest of my time living my life as best I can. I am going to stop and enjoy the music that is all around me, if only for a few moments. I am going to stop worrying about things I don't have control over (because He's always in control) and stop counting the seconds that pass.

I am going to live each moment the best way I know how - with Him by my side every step of the way, every second of each day. I am going to cherish each moment with no regrets. He has given us this time to enjoy, to hurt, to laugh, to cry, to fall in and out of love. Time to spend with family and friends. Time to find out who we really are, not who people want us to be. Time to enjoy every moment of every day, the good times and the bad times. No matter how much time changes us, God is always in control and His hand will shield our soul.

Time is but a ticking of the clock. Don't let the tick-tock of the clock decide how you live your life. Stand tall and walk proud knowing that He is with you for all time.